ORANGE ORDER MEET GARDA TOP BRASS OVER DONEGAL ARSON ATTACKS

Tag: 乐上海论坛

first_imgThe scene of the arson attack on the Convoy Orange Hall last month.Representatives of The Orange Order have revealed they’ve met with a high-ranking official within the Gardaí over the double-arson attacks on Orange Halls in Donegal last month.The deliberate destruction of the two Orange Halls sparked outrage in the communities of Newtoncunningham and Convoy.The arson attacks were carried out just a few weeks apart, and both sides of the community in both areas condemned those responsible for the senseless attacks. However, a member of the Orange Order has hailed a meeting they had with a leading Garda official as ‘extremely useful’.The members of the Orange Order sought the meeting so they could be briefed on the on-going investigations being made by the Gardaí on the double arson attacks which were carried out last month.The Orange Order also revealed that during the meeting, members made pleas that the Dublin Government look into the prospect of providing financial aid for the two building destroyed in the arson attacks.Edward Stevenson, Grand Master of the Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland, as well as Grand Secretary Drew Nelson, met with Kieran Kenny, An Garda Siochana assistant commissioner. Mr Stevenson told the Belfast Newsletter, “This was an extremely useful meeting with Assistant Commissioner Kenny.“We outlined our deep concern and that of our members in Newtowncunningham and Convoy regarding the deliberate destruction of Orange property in the Donegal area.“Those responsible must not be allowed to succeed as both halls acted as social hubs and served all sections of the wider community.He said he is also to meet the Republic’s Justice and Equality Minister, Frances Fitzgerald TD, in weeks to come.Mr Stevenson concluded, “We will be putting the case to the Irish government very strongly that there is an obligation and responsibility on their part to liaise with the affected lodges. “They must explore with them all funding opportunities that are available to ensure all possible means of aid and assistance are taken into consideration.ORANGE ORDER MEET GARDA TOP BRASS OVER DONEGAL ARSON ATTACKS was last modified: November 12th, 2014 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Arson AttacksconvoynewsNewtoncunninghamOrange HallsOrange Orderlast_img read more


Tag: 乐上海论坛

first_imgAs the North West Breast Cancer Ball marks its 10th anniversary next week, the team at Letterkenny University Hospital’s Breast Centre have revealed how the proceeds have directly benefitted local women in the past decade.Money raised at the social fundraiser has been used on internationally-regarded research, improved diagnostics, patient comfort and community care.Dr. Manvydas Varzgalis, consultant breast cancer surgeon, said contributions have been ‘invaluable’ in improving treatments at the North West Breast Centre. He is encouraging anyone thinking about supporting the Breast Cancer Ball to go and get the last remaining tickets: “Definitely go to the breast ball, you improve the outcomes for Donegal women. You improve the diagnostic outcomes and, if they develop cancer, you improve the treatment options, especially from a surgical point of view,” he told Donegal Woman.Manvydas Varzgalis – Consultant Breast Surgeon at Breast Centre North WestThe special anniversary ball takes place on Friday 29th November in the Silver Tassie Hotel. Over €17,000 was raised at last year’s star-studded event and it is hoped that this year will be as much of a success.Up to 3,000 patients are seen at the Breast Centre North West each year. Sadly for 100 of those women, an assessment will result in a cancer diagnosis.The good news is that funding for breast cancer research has significantly reduced mortality rates globally. In Donegal, proceeds from the charity ball pay for research nurses and student fellows, who publish papers each year.  Because of the research funds, Dr. Varzgalis said the surgical outcomes and diagnostics of breast cancer have already improved for patients, while self-audits in the Breast Centre are used to improve the quality of the unit itself.Research studies carried out in Letterkenny have produced internationally-regarded papers, the findings of which are often put into practiceA recent study looked unnecessary biopsies, Dr Varzgalis said: “Our audit showed that we could select patients who wouldn’t benefit from biopsies and we are trying to implement and improve that in our practice.”Another direct result of the research is that it has enabled improved surgical planning. “We are doing more breast-conserving surgery,” Dr Varzgalis said.“We have learned to remove bigger lumps and still avoid mastectomy, and that involves a lot of surgical planning and special software.” The advancement means that breast-conserving rates are 72% in Letterkenny, above the international standard of 60-70%.Pink examination gowns at the Breast Centre North West are supported by the Breast Cancer Fundraising BallBreast Centre North West has a good reputation for research, Dr Varzgalis said, which helps to attract skilled doctors. “You always want to attract good doctors, and it is important that they have the ability to do research projects. If the unit can offer them you have the ability to attract stronger doctors,” Dr Varzgalis said.The surgeon’s message to women, particularly older women, is to check themselves and ‘be paranoid’. “I notice elderly patients in their late 70s or 80s are ignoring the symptoms. Although in a patient of that age, the breast cancer is not aggressive but unfortunately it’s picked up at quite late stages,” he said.“We advise for all patients to examine themselves and be paranoid and if you notice anything go to your GP and they usually refer to the Breast Unit.”Dr Manvydas Varzgalis – Consultant Breast Surgeon at Breast Centre North WestAs the Breast Unit team looks forward to benefiting from another Breast Cancer Ball, Dr Varzgalis said they are all very grateful to the organising committee for their hard work. “Contributions from the breast ball and from Donegal people to the breast unit is invaluable,” he adds.Tickets are almost sold out for the North West Breast Cancer Ball at the Silver Tassie Hotel Letterkenny – but there is still time to get a ticket.With adaptive adventurer and cancer survivor Nikki Bradley as special guest, Noel Cunningham as MC and entertainment from the Bentley Boys, it promises to be a moving and enjoyable event. Other special guests will include Dragons’ Den investor Ramona Nicholas and RTÉ presenter Áine Lawlor.North West Breast Cancer Ball 2019 Ambassador Nikki BradleyTickets are 50 euro, and include a sparkling wine reception, a splendid five course meal with wine, dancing to the band, followed by a disco. An exciting auction and raffle will be held thanks to generous sponsorship from the business community in Donegal and further afield.Tickets are available at the Silver Tassie Hotel by calling 074 91 25619.Why not make a night of it? Accommodation – B&B is currently available at the special rate of €40 per person sharing at the Silver Tassie, just ring 074 91 25619 to book.Visit the North West Breast Cancer Charity Ball 2019 Facebook page for more.10 years of Breast Cancer Ball donations ‘invaluable’ to North West centre was last modified: November 25th, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Dr. Manvydas VarzgalisNorth West Breast Cancer Ballnorth west breast centreSilver Tassie Hotellast_img read more


Tag: 乐上海论坛

first_img26 June 2014Local Umhlanga surfer Beyrick De Vries is counting the days until some 84 international surfers arrive to compete at one of his local breaks in the Association of Surfing Professionals’ (ASP) Mr Price Pro Ballito from 30 June to 6 July.It will be a dream come true for De Vries, who hopes to follow in the footsteps of elite ASP World Tour athletes and fellow Durban surfers Jordy Smith and Travis Logie.‘A blessing’“It is such a blessing for the South African surfers to have an event like the Mr Price Pro Ballito in our country,” De Vries said. “The event offers double the prize money and ratings points of other star-rated Qualifying Series stops, so it’s a real foot in the door for those of us wanting to make it on the international stage.”Rated 28th on the ASP Qualification Series (QS) rankings, De Vries has climbed almost 100 places up the ratings ladder since this time last year, making him a firm favourite to not only bring the trophy back to South Africa, but also to gain further ground towards qualifying for the 2015 ASP World Tour.‘Really important’“The Mr Price Pro is really important for me to further my rankings,” he said. “Last year I reached the Round of 16 here and after a disappointing result in Mexico this week (De Vries was eliminated in round two), I will be looking to make up some lost ground at this event.”Competing in the familiar waves of Ballito, just 20 minutes away from his home, is an advantage that few surfers are afforded, so it is one De Vries wants to make the most of while he has the chance.Competing at home“I can’t even explain how much of an impact competing at home has on your surfing. It’s the opportunity to compete without the stress of travel, jet lag or finding the right nutrition and all the other factors you have worry about when you are overseas.“I surf the way I am feeling and, at the end of the day, it all comes down to confidence. That’s how my surfing comes out. I perform my best when the stress is off.”De Vries said he was proud to call the KwaDukuza region home and enjoyed giving his fellow international rivals a warm African welcome.‘They love Ballito’“It is epic to have the world’s best surfers in Ballito because I know how fun home is, how good the waves are and how rich the culture is. They love Ballito, and it’s great to have one of their favourite destinations be the one you call home.”A fierce competitor with no shortage of variety and flair in his repertoire, De Vries says working with his new shaper, Elton Fursman of Hurricane Surfboards, has given him a fresh approach and was the move he hoped would take his surfing to the next level.“It’s really important for me to work closely with my shaper. When my previous shaper Clayton moved to Australia at the start of the year, I started working with Elton. Hurricane are 100 percent behind me achieving my dream of qualifying for the World Championship Tour.”Podium dreamA top-three finish at the Mr Price Pro Ballito could make all the difference in De Vries’ campaign, which means he will have his sights set on the podium from the moment he hits the water in round one on Monday.“I will not rest until I win the Mr Price Pro Ballito. This is the event I have my heart set on,” he said.SAinfo reporterlast_img read more


Tag: 乐上海论坛

first_imgThe Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Saturday filed chargesheet against RJD chief Lalu Prasad’s daughter Misa Bharti and her husband in a money laundering case.ED counsel Nitesh Rana filed the charge sheet before the court of Special Judge N.K. Malhotra.The probe agency had earlier attached a Delhi farmhouse in connection with its money laundering probe against Bharti and her husband, Shailesh Kumar.The farmhouse, located at 26, Palam Farms in south Delhi’s Bijwasan area was attached provisionally under the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA).It belongs to Bharti and Kumar and is “held in the name of Ms Mishail Packers and Printers Private Limited”, the central probe agency said.“It was purchased using ₹1.2 crore involved in money laundering in the year 2008-09,” the ED alleged.The agency had also conducted raids at this location and few others in July as part of its probe against two brothers, Surendra Kumar Jain and Virendra Jain, and others who have been alleged to have laundered several crore rupees using shell companies.The Jain brothers were arrested by the ED under the PMLA.It had also arrested a chartered accountant, Rajesh Agrawal, who mediated and provided a cash amount of “₹90 lakh to the Jain brothers in advance so as to invest in Ms Mishail Packers and Printers Pvt Ltd as share premium”.One of the firms that the arrested duo dealt with was Mishail Printers and Packers Private Limited. Ms. Bharti and her husband are alleged to have been directors of this firm in the past.“The company, Ms Mishail Packers and Printers, was registered at the address 25, Tuglak Road, New Delhi till the shares were bought by Bharti. It was only during the year 2009-10 that the address was changed to farm no 26 Palam Farms, VPO Bijwasan, New Delhi. Bharti and Kumar were the directors of the company during the relevant period,” the agency said.The couple were also interrogated and their statements recorded by the agency in this probe case.The agency said the Jain brothers, CA Agrawal and the daughter and the son-in-law of the former Bihar chief minister were the “key persons behind the money laundering of ₹1.2 crore”.last_img read more


Tag: 乐上海论坛

first_imgMaharashtra Leader of Opposition Radhakrishna Vikhe-Patil will meet the Karnataka Home Minister G. Parameshwara in Bengaluru on Friday and seek his cooperation in raising the demand to ban right wing Sanatan Sanstha, whose name has surfaced in the murder cases of rationalists and journalist in Maharashtra and Karnataka. “I will be meeting the Home Minister with a request to exchange more information regarding Sanatan Sanstha and other right wing outfits. Karnataka investigative agencies have done a remarkable job in tracking down the killers of Gauri Lankesh and have helped Maharashtra police as well. We will explore possibilities of pushing the demand of ban on this organisation,” said Mr Vikhe-Patil. Based on information received from the arrested accused in journalist Gauri Lankesh murder case, Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) arrested one Vaibhav Raut of Hindu Goraksha Samiti from Nallasopara and two others. These arrests led to Sachin Andure, the alleged shooter in the 2013 murder of rationalist Dr. Narendra Dabholkar in Pune. In wake of these arrests, Maharashtra’s Minister for State (Home) said a proposal to ban Sanatan Sanstha has been sent to the union government. Mr. Vikhe-Patil has already demanded inquiry into Sanatan Sanstha founder Jayant Athawale as the organisation’s name has been mentioned by investigative agencies.last_img read more